About Blog

this blog is dedicated to all the people out there..who are stuck in their clichéd everyday life...but are true ROCKSTARS in their alter egos...(Do you see a Mark Zuckerberg or a Beyonce..when you look at yourself in the mirror??)...I do ..:-) The unusual but identifying stories of a middleclass girl trying to survive in this moral and modern world....:-)

Wednesday 2 July 2014

From UP, MP or a Newyork-aspirant...

So this blog of mine is dedicated to the dilemma which I have faced through out my life. You see, my father come from a very conservative family of Madhya Pradesh.."jaan jaye par vachan jaye" types mantra..but he has to move to a small town of Uttar Pradesh for a government job (to die for in India) in his twenties.

Though only Five Hundred kilometres apart..he found this new place, it's people, food, and culture
totally different from his beloved town..I still remember his reaction when we use to go to our native place in summer..his first reaction used to be - "kya khushboo hai in hawaoon main"..and mine use to be "hello dad ..close the window...we'll all die of the heatstroke". Due to the need of the hour, he has to get me and my brother admitted to one of the best convent schools in India. But, and mind it this is the biggest BUT of my life..wanted us to be always like him..the way he was in front of his father..My father still has a very strained relationship with his father (will write more about it in my coming blogs)..do not know the reason why..but he somehow wanted to or had a similar one with us also. The Sholay wala major types rule in the home..nobody should laugh or talk..and lot of rules...

We could never (and still the rule applies) speak a single word of English with him because he thinks that we are turning into angrej and he still says so..Can you imagine my situation ..studying in the best convent of India and not uttering a single word of English..is it possible ..ya it was because I use to frame all the sentence in Hindi before speaking in front of him..and now when we have grown up we purposefully speak English in front of him and can see him visibly annoyed.. The biggest blow for him and his MP-patriotism came when I decided to get married to a UP guy..(coming more on this) 

When I was small, I always happily obliged his every rule..and though being educated and brought-up in UP, I always had this superiority-complex for MP's culture, food, people, and everything..(and let me highlight we use to go only once in an year to our beloved MP). Now as I grew..studied , worked , lived independently in other states..I started developing love for them too..and specifically for New York...my dream city to visit and live..

Couple of days back,  this MP-frantic head of our family (my father) was asking me about my plans to settle abroad (almost every one from his department has one of their kids settled abroad) and the first question that popped up in my evil head was - Dad what am I gonna speak there Bundelkhandi (MP's language), Brijbhasha (UP's language) or English??...scared to ask him..but will do so...and let you know the reaction...  :-)

Please like us and comment -  https://www.facebook.com/moralmodernandmiddleclass

No comments:

Post a Comment